Thursday

You're Not Hired


One of the issues that raised its head at the launch of the TV3 Apprentice show was the fact that candidates for the show risked damaging their credibility as business people by appearing on the show.

I have only watched bits and pieces of the show because parts of it are so cringe inducing and yes, I do believe that at least half of those who have taken part will struggle in the long term to achieve anything of note as an employee of another company. I honestly believe that those that go it alone and start their own businesses may have a better chance of long term success.

Damaged credibility was always going to be an issue with this show as we live on such a small island where everybody knows everyone. I am by no means the best connected man in the world but I have friends who know two of the contestants and I discovered that without any modicum of investigation.

What has amazed me is that contestants seem to be oblivious to the camera and have no problem bitching and back biting even though they know that it will end up on screen.

In short, The Apprentice is not really a job interview, it's a 12 week career suicide note.

I would be amazed if this show was commissioned again given the apathy towards it by the viewing public and the fact that it has lacked punch and any level of dynamism.

No comments: