Sunday

Teach Your Children....

There seems to have been a slew of articles in the press and online in the recent past about the growing trend of parents taking an active part in the job search for their kids. I am not talking about a mother or father putting in a good word for little Jimmy to help him get a summer job or that oh so Irish matter of canvassing for favours with family friends. This is the totally different issue of parents ‘interviewing’ the clients and assessing if the companies are good enough for their off spring and then playing an active role in the negotiation of a job offer.


This is not a far flung U.S. based trend. It is happening in the UK and Ireland and it has crossed all sections of society. I have had parents call me and attempt to grill me about the opportunities available to their sons and daughters because their child couldn’t be bothered. Call me a stubborn fool – but when I left UCD in 1995 the thought of my father or my mother having any interfering hand in my future plans would have appalled me. In fact, I remember my father ‘strongly advising’ me to apply to the local multinational. The company had never crossed my mind until then and from that moment on I placed them on a blacklist of companies to avoid. Why? Because I believed then and still do that personal pride and belief are priceless traits and the thought of having my well meaning parents direct my future career was just unthinkable.

What worries me is that we have a generation leaving colleges and universities with world class qualifications but they need their parents to help them function in the real world. Part of the reason that they ‘need’ them is just plain laziness. On one occasion I had a mother tell me (quite sincerely) that her son couldn’t come to the phone because he was too busy playing his Xbox.

In 1995 when I graduated the concept of parents taking part in the job search was unthinkable. There was no internet to speak of, no text messaging and most of all unemployment was a vast multiple of what it is now. Regardless of that all of my friends and I found jobs. The economic boom in this country created another breed of casualties – those unwilling and unable to do anything for themselves. These types of people want jobs handed to them, transport provided and the Rolls Royce treatment straight away. My big fear is that in the economy that we currently find ourselves in these people are sinkng in a heap and are utterly useless in getting themselves back on their feet. Why? – because they don’t know how to do anything for themselves.

The days of big bad old companies trying to trick employees into a life of servitude are gone. Ninety nine per cent of employment contracts are the very same. If in doubt ask an expert such as a recruiter or a member of the Citizens Advice Bureau. Don’t allow yourself to be swayed by non-experts who just have your best interests at heart. Most of all ask your potential employers lots of questions and make an informed decision.

So the message to the graduates or soon to be graduates amongst you is this: have a backbone and know what you want from your life and go for it. It might be easier to have the first start on the career ladder handed to you, but it will not help you in the long run. Finally, if you’re parents try to butt in and negotiate contracts or salaries have a quiet word.

No comments: