Wednesday

The Elevator Pitch

Most readers at this stage (if there are any!) are wondering what an elevator pitch is. Those that do know what one is are probably wondering why I am writing about them on a careers and recruitment blog.


The truth is, whilst they may be typically the preserve of business owners and venture capitalists, candidates can learn an awful lot from them and give themselves a head start in an interview by perfecting an elevator pitch.

So what is it?

It is a fifteen or thirty second overview of a person, a product or service that can be delivered to a boss or a venture capitalist as they ride the elevator to the 200th floor of their luxury skyscraper. The person on the receiving end knows nothing about the offering when he or she gets in but knows enough when they get out to make a decision to invest or not. That is what they are in a nutshell.

So how do they relate to the interview process?

The most common question used at the start of an interview by a client is 'Tell me about yourself?' It may be an old chestnut of a question and it is sometimes used just to break the ice, but I believe that it is the ideal time to deliver the 'elevator pitch' or as my collegaue Paddy O'Flaherty calls it 'the news headlines'.

Over the years I have heard hundreds of nightmare interview stories and the opening few minutes are a minefield. I have had heard of candidates regaling clients with tales of under age GAA successes, gap year escapades and more and completely forgetting to mention anything remotely of interest to the client.

Here is a typical nightmare one that I have heard:

'My name is XXX XXXXXX, I've just returned from India and South East Asia, before that I worked in my uncles pub at weekends, I play the guitar and support the Munster Rugby team and I'm here because I'm looking for a job'.

To me that is the interview equivalent of nails being dragged down a blackboard. As preposterous as it seems it really is a true indication of what happens at interviews.


On the other hand here is what I would suggest:

'My name is XXX XXXXX and I've just graduated from UCC with a 2.1 degree in chemistry. As part of my placement I worked with The Acme Chemistry Company and worked as a QC Analyst testing raw materials. I'm originally from Waterford but I'm hoping to secure a job here in the Galway area'.

Just like the news headlines there is the promise that those key points will be touched on again. Straight away the interviewer is going to have a much better idea of the person sitting across the table. It also sets an agenda for the following 45 minutes or so.

It may be a brilliant concept with a silly name but I believe that it works well every time. It is a great way to open an interview and it shows that the candidate is serious about the endeavour, which is not always the case as any interviewer will tell you.

No comments: